The Tangram is one of the fun family games to play at home.
What is a Tangram?
The Tangram is a Chinese puzzle made up of 7 pieces: a parallelogram (rhomboid), a square, and 5 triangles and if placed together they form a square.
How does the tangram helps in developing math skills in children?
- Have fun learning geometry! Embark on a journey of size, shapes, positions and dimensions of things.
- Squares, circles and triangles are some of the simplest shapes in geometry.
- The colored pieces of this tangram helps children to grasp the idea that by combining all the different colored pieces can represent a whole
- The different sized shapes makes up larger or smaller pieces of the whole.
Have a fun exploration in creating animals, trees, flowers, fruits, vehicles and many others.
The list is endless making this a great tool to develop creative thinking skills and one of the fun family games to play at home.
Fun learning activities to play
- In the day care centre, we always incorporate a short game of the tangram to teach geometry and fractions, otherwise a complex concept to teach. It is also more fun and creative for them.
We usually start at the easiest level, where they can simply place the pieces onto the patterns shown.
- After some practise, we will start giving them simple pictures, like the animals on the right.
They will be challenged to use the tangram to resemble the shapes. Then another child will guess what it resembles.
We make it more challenging by having few children doing the same picture with the tangram and the child who does it in the shortest time wins.
We would have a good laugh when funny shapes were created and nobody could guess what it resembles.
When we finally know what it should be, the other children will help to rearrange to make it resemble more. This fosters social skills in building team work and cooperation. Most important the children find it very fun.
This is one of the many family games to play at home as it helps the children in their visual perception by copying and differentiating shapes which can develop their creative thinking skill.
Family games to play at home with the Magical Tangram :
- Develops problem-solving
- Logical thinking skills
- Perceptual reasoning (nonverbal thinking skills)
- Visual-spatial awareness
- Develops creativity
- Introduces many mathematical concepts such as congruency, symmetry, area, perimeter, and geometry.
- 155 pieces of high quality wood
- 24 pattern cards divided into 2-5 stars at different difficulty levels. It allows toddlers to start with the simple 2 stars.
Help to share this blog with your friends who might find this article useful!
Visit our other blogs https://funtoysland.com/blog/ which shares creative games and activities to play with our collection of educational toys to boost your children development skills!