I recently bought a mechanical talking hamster plush toy for one of my friend . She has an autistic 7-year old boy. The hamster is battery operated and repeats what you say to it.
You might ask why a talking hamster?
One of the biggest challenge when dealing with autistic children is holding their attention long enough to teach them new or essential skills.
I read in an article about a doctor who incorporated robotic animals like dogs, cats as part of their therapy sessions at their learning centre for autistic children.
- Their shapes and motions intrigue them who are taught to pet and play with the mechanical toys.
- They were encouraged to interact with these toys. When they know that they are receptive to learn more, real animals like cats will be introduced to them.
- They look for different methods to help the autistic children in developing their motor and sensory skills.
- These mechanical toys emit sounds and lights. It can help them to copy with multi-sensory exposure, which is especially difficult and overwhelming for some.
- They used these toys as tools to teach critical thinking skills, problem solving skills. At the same time giving them lots of fun and games.
- The main aim of using these toys is to play educational games with them. They were asked to follow specific instructions, recognise colors and teaching them how to interact with another being.
Autistic children might have difficulty in communicating and learning the meaning of words, connecting with people and dealing with changes.
Technology if used correctly can be very effective in addressing the needs of these children. Technology can make learning more interesting and appealing.
Autistic children are always in their own world and using mechanical toys may slowly build the comfort and confidence to interact with other people.
Plush Toy, My Cute Talking Hamster Friend!
- Made of Soft Plush
- 3 colors – grey, deep brown and brown
- Sound Record Electronic Toy – it will repeat what you say in any language
Help to share this blog with your friends who might find this article useful!
Visit our other blogs https://funtoysland.com/blog/ which shares creative games and activities to play with our collection of educational toys to boost your children development skills!